The submission deadline for proposals is May 31, 2019.
Submissions for the 2020 Annual Meeting are closed. If your proposal is accepted, you will be notified in August. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 202-407-7140.
NBOA seeks volunteers to share their expertise on issues or challenges facing independent schools for presentation at the 2020 NBOA Annual Meeting to be held February 23-26 in Orlando, FL. Meeting content is built around key learning tracks including executive leadership, business operations, risk management, accounting/finance/tax, human resources and facilities.
A hallmark of the NBOA community is the high degree of collegiality and peer-to-peer learning among the national membership. Business officers, business operations staff, heads of school, and other school leaders truly value their colleagues' ideas, strategies and solutions. The NBOA Annual Meeting will feature dynamic concurrent sessions, a lively goldmine session featuring multiple rounds of shorter, focused presentations, as well as a limited number of "deep dive" sessions, which are curated by NBOA. This call for programs is specifically for Annual Meeting concurrent and goldmine sessions. It will also inform our upcoming webinar series. We strive to ensure that all presentations are timely and relevant to independent school business operations and industry trends or developments, are creatively structured, utilize case studies from independent schools and provide a high degree of participant engagement.
Membership in NBOA does not guarantee selection for the NBOA Annual Meeting program; however, priority is given to NBOA members, and particularly submissions from NBOA member schools. Other considerations include the following:
- Your proposals must be submitted by the submission deadline using the official online platform.
- Information must be complete at the time of submission. Program submissions with incomplete information or speaker information "to be determined" will not be considered.
- Business partners are strongly encouraged to present content; however, please refrain from programs aimed strictly at promoting your business or product. Programs that include a business partner and a business officer or business operations staff member have a greater chance of being selected.
- NBOA reserves the right to edit session titles, learning objectives and session descriptions.
- NBOA reserves the right to schedule sessions as appropriate over the entire conference and cannot guarantee a specific date or time for a session.
- NBOA will not accept a proposal with more than three speakers for a concurrent session or one speaker for a goldmine session.
- Please limit submissions to three per organization. Additional submissions will not be considered.
NOTE: Some concurrent session proposals may be accepted as Annual Meeting goldmines and/or webinars for the 2019-20 NBOA webinar series. If you would like to submit programs for consideration as webinars outside of this call for programs for the Annual Meeting, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
- All presenters/speakers must register and submit payment for the NBOA Annual Meeting (full or single-day registration fee).
- If your program is selected, you will receive a "speaker code" that entitles you to a discounted registration rate for the entire conference. You must use this code when you register to receive the discounted rate. Registration opens in early October at www.nboaannualmeeting.org.
- All expenses related to registration, travel and lodging are the responsibility of each individual speaker/presenter. In addition, speakers must make their own travel arrangements and book their own lodging.
- You will receive your "speaker code" to register only after you have submitted your signed speaker agreement to NBOA. All presenters must agree to all responsibilities. It is the lead presenter's responsibility to advise co-presenters of these responsibilities.
- If your program is accepted, all speakers included on the submission form must be registered and present at the NBOA Annual Meeting. NBOA reserves the right to cancel any program due to speaker substitutions after the program has been accepted.
Popular program offerings and ideas suggested by previous NBOA Annual Meeting attendees include:
- Affordability and accessibility
- Board financial metrics
- Cybersecurity and compliance
- Data management
- DOL audits
- Endowment management strategies
- Enrollment management
- Financial sustainability
- Governance and board relations
- Human resources
- Legal issues
- Long-range financial modeling
- Master facilities planning
- Schools of the future
- Staff management
- Tax issues and unrelated business income
Other topics for consideration include:
- Accounting, financial reporting, auditing, budgeting
- Auxiliary services: summer programs, food service, campus rentals, school stores
- Benefits, compensation, performance evaluations
- Change management
- Debt management
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Enrollment Management
- Environmental sustainability
- Facilities management
- Financial aid
- Information technology
- Risk management, emergency preparedness, safety and security
- Succession planning and leadership development
- Transportation management
NBOA is using a third-party platform for program submissions. This is a separate system from the NBOA website so you will not use your NBOA website password to login—you will need to create an account on the platform before submitting a proposal.
The advantages of the submission platform are:
- You can start a submission, save it and continue editing it later.
- Having an account makes it easier to submit and manage multiple proposals.
- It streamlines the review process for NBOA and allows for easier communication between the Review Committee and submitters.
If you have technical issues, please contact the platform provider:
- Cadmium Technical Support
Hours: 9 am – 6 pm ET, Mon - Fri
Phone: (Direct) 410-638-9239 | (Toll Free) 877-426-6323
If you have questions about the call for programs, please contact:
- Erin Grady
Manager, Professional Development Programs