The Director of Finance works closely with the Board and the Headmaster to assure that the School’s short term financial plans are achieved and that the School is proactively addressing potential future risks and opportunities as they relate to the financial wellbeing and strength of the institution.
This position reports directly to the headmaster and manages a Business Office staff of three. The Director of Finance serves on the Headmaster’s Leadership Team.
Primary Duties are as follows. Additional duties are assigned as necessary by the Headmaster.
• Responsible for the entire scope of the School’s financial operations including budgeting, cash flow management, investments (under the guidance of the Investment Committee), borrowing and capital projects.
• Collaborate with the Admissions Office on executing the financial aid process.
• Manage the Business Office to facilitate the smooth daily operations of the School’s financial activities.
• Ensure that all payrolls, billings and benefit programs are correctly administered, processed, and reported.
• Lead the annual budget creation process in conjunction with the Headmaster, Treasurer, Finance Committee of the Board and department heads, including developing enrollment forecasts with the Admissions office and setting tuitions with the Headmaster and board. Manage this process so that it provides the basis for making strategic decisions on key forward-looking issues.
• Assume oversight responsibilities for the Maintenance & House Keeping department and the Infirmary.
• Meet all monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting requirements as per the demands of the Headmaster, board, the auditor, CHEFA, Citizens Bank (LOC) or any other controlling authority.
• Assume primary responsibility for Human Resource issues as relates to policy and compliance.
• Manage all of the School’s vendor relations including the contractor that provides food service.
• Oversee the purchasing of insurance for the School.
• Coordinate the School’s risk management activities, policies and procedures.
• A bachelor’s degree is required; MBA or CPA preferred.
• At least 5 years of independent school business office experience or equivalent senior level corporate business experience.
• A demonstrated ability to work within a collaborative management context.
• Expertise in financial management including budgeting, planning, operations, human resources, risk management, and project management.
• A solid background in the areas of financial controls and best practices.
• A passion for independent education as well as the professionalism, energy, and commitment necessary to achieve the responsibilities of this position.
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• The ability to communicate clearly in written and oral forms with a diversity of constituents.
Competitive compensation is commensurate with skills and experience.
The Rectory school was founded in 1920 when the Reverend and Mrs. Frank H. Bigelow sought to create an individualized learning program for their son John. The benchmark program has developed into a distinct advantage of a Rectory education. Rectory has the capacity to meet the educational needs and aspirations of a wide range of students – from strong traditional learners to those who have inquisitive minds but need more academic support.
The Rectory School’s 138-acre rural campus provides a scenic and secure home to approximately 270 students covering the ages from Pre-K to 9th grade. Rectory is a coeducational institution at all levels. The 5th – 9th grade junior school has approximately 200 students 130 of which are boarding students. These students come to Rectory from all around the United States and from nine different countries. 15% of the junior school students are students of color. Average class size ranges from 8 to 10 and the student teacher ratio is 4:1.
Interested candidates are asked to sumbit via email to Mrs. Diana Richardson, Headmaster’s Assistant, email@example.com a resume, cover letter, personal statement and at least three letters of reference along with contact information. Questions may be directed to this same email address.