NBOA seeks volunteers to share their expertise on business and operational challenges facing independent schools for presentation at the 2018 NBOA Annual Meeting. The event will be held next March 4 – 7 in Nashville, TN.
A hallmark of the NBOA community is the high degree of collegiality and peer-to-peer learning among the national membership. Business officers and business operations staff truly value their colleagues' ideas, strategies and solutions. The NBOA Annual Meeting will feature dynamic 75-minute sessions and a lively Goldmine session featuring 4 rounds of focused 15-minute presentations. We strive to ensure that all presentations are relevant to independent school business operations, are creatively structured, utilize case studies from independent schools and provide a high degree of participant engagement.
Membership in NBOA does not guarantee selection for the NBOA Annual Meeting program; however, priority is given to submissions from NBOA member schools. Other considerations include the following:
- Your proposals must be submitted by the submission deadline using the official form.
- Information must be complete at the time of submission. Program submissions with incomplete information or speaker information "to be determined" will not be considered.
- You must include one learning objective for your session.
- Please indicate whether the session is basic (for attendees who are new to the profession or independent schools) or advanced (for seasoned and experienced professionals).
- Business partners are strongly encouraged to present content; however, please refrain from programs aimed strictly at promoting your business or product. Programs that include a business partner and a business officer or business operations staff member have a greater chance of being selected.
- NBOA reserves the right to edit session titles and session descriptions.
- All presenters/speakers must register and submit payment for the NBOA Annual Meeting (full or single-day registration fee).
- If your program is selected, you will receive a "speaker code" that entitles you to a discounted registration rate to the entire conference. You must use this code when you register to receive the discounted rate. Registration opens in early October at www.nboaannualmeeting.org.
- All expenses related to registration, travel and hotel are the responsibility of each individual speaker/presenter. In addition, speakers must make their own travel arrangements and book their own hotel reservation.
- You will receive your "speaker code" to register only after you have submitted your signed speaker agreement to NBOA. All presenters must agree to all responsibilities. It is the lead presenter's responsibility to advise co-presenters of these responsibilities.
- If your program is accepted, all speakers included on the submission form must be registered and present at the NBOA Annual Meeting. NBOA reserves the right to cancel any program due to speaker substitutions after the program has been accepted.
Popular program offerings and ideas suggested by previous NBOA Annual Meeting attendees include:
- Board financial metrics
- School affordability
- Long-range financial modeling
- Data management
- Legal issues
- Financial sustainability
- Staff management
- Master facilities planning
- Library of the future
- Endowment management strategies
- PCI compliance
- DOL audits
Other topics for consideration include:
- Accounting, financial reporting, auditing, budgeting
- Auxiliary services: food service, campus rentals, school stores
- Benefits, compensation, performance evaluations
- Change management
- Debt management
- Environmental sustainability
- Facilities management
- Financial aid, enrollment management
- Governance and board relations
- Information technology
- Risk management, emergency preparedness, safety and security
- Transportation management
NBOA is using a third-party platform for program submissions. This is a separate system from the NBOA website so you will not use your NBOA website password to login—you will need to create an account on the platform before submitting a proposal.
The advantages of the submission platform are:
- You can start a submission, save it and continue editing it later.
- Having an account makes it easier to submit and manage multiple proposals.
- It streamlines the review process for NBOA and allows for easier communication between the Review Committee and submitters.
Ready to submit a proposal?
Click this button to start the submission process.
If you have technical issues, please contact the platform provider:
- Cadmium Technical Support
Hours: 9 am – 6 pm ET, Mon - Fri
Phone: (Direct) 410-638-9239 | (Toll Free) 877-426-6323
If you have questions about the call for programs, please contact:
- Rini Sarmaroy
Executive Assistant and Coordinator of Professional Development Programs